Letter of Motivation and Admission Interview
Letter of Motivation
The Letter of Motivation is a part of the online application form. Guidelines and evaluation criteria for the motivation letter are also included in the online application form.
The Letter of Motivation is used to evaluate the applicant's motivation to study IT law. With this in mind, please address the following questions in the letter:
- Whether and how are your previous education and/or experiences linked to the topics covered by the MA in IT Law curriculum?
- How do you plan to apply the knowledge and skills that you will acquire during your studies in IT Law?
- What is the most intriguing topic for you in the field of IT Law?
We strongly advise you to familiarise yourself with the contents of the IT Law programme before writing the letter of motivation. The letter must be written in English and be 4500 - 5000 characters (with blanks) long.
The letter will be evaluated on the basis of the following criteria:
- Match between the goals of the IT Law Program on the other hand and the intriguing topic raised in the motivation letter together with the education, the experiences, and the future prospects of the applicant on the other hand;
- Skills in analysis, argumentation, and self-expression.
The maximum score for motivation letter is 100 points and the result is positive only if the applicant gains 51 points or more.
Applicants who received a positive score (at least 51 points) for the motivation letter will be invited to take part in admission interview.
The interview is designed to determine the applicant's readiness for continuous learning, professional development, and aptitude to work in the field of IT law.
The applicant will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Acquaintance with the field of IT law
- Readiness for continous learning and professional developement
- Skills in analysis, argumentation, and self-expression
The duration of the interview is 20 minutes and it is conducted in English either via Skype or in person. The interviews will be scheduled in cooperation with qualifying candidates when the the letters of motivation have been evaluated.
Admission Interview via Skype
The University of Tartu uses the Skype free software to conduct the video call. For information about the use of Skype, see https://support.skype.com/en/ . The interviewee/applicant must create a Skype account for themselves.
For the interview via Skype the applicant needs the following:
- A computer or smart device with the Skype software installed in it. In addition, the computer or smart device must have a web camera, earphones and microphone (built-in or separate). As the applicant must be visually identified at the interview, the use of the web camera is mandatory, not recommended.
- The internet connection with a speed of at least 1 Mb/s (upload/download) is recommended for the video call.
At the Skype interview:
- The applicant must present an identity document.
- The applicant has to confirm that the room where they stay is free from other persons or background noise.
- The applicant must take into account that they are not allowed to save the interview and confirm that they are not doing so.
Schedule of Admission Interviews
The schedule of admission interviews is listed here after the interviews have been scheduled. The names of applicants will be coded.